Assistant Professor of Biology
Office: 3338 Spieth Hall
Office phone: 951-827-5941
Degree: Ph.D., University of California, Davis, 2010
As of July 1, 2015 Dr. Piovia-Scott has accepted an appointment at Washington State University - Vancouver (link).
My research focuses on community ecology, especially interactions between species. I am particularly interested in exploring how species interactions mediate the effects of environmental change on ecosystems. The earth is experiencing rapid and pronounced changes in climatic regimes, water and nutrient cycles, and the composition of ecological communities. I use field studies, laboratory experiments, and statistical modelling to understand how these changes alter the ways that species interact with each other, and the resulting consequences for ecosystem structure and dynamics. Specific areas of current research include interactions between an introduced pathogen and native amphibians, the effects of marine resources on the structure of terrestrial food webs, and the relationship between hydrology, aquatic food webs, and resource export. Current study systems include Bahamian islands and California mountain lakes.
Some Recent Publications....
- Piovia-Scott, J., D.A. Spiller, G. Takimoto, L.H. Yang, A.N. Wright, and T.W. Schoener. 2013. The effect of chronic seaweed subsidies on herbivory: plant-mediated fertilization pathway overshadows lizard-mediated predator pathways. Oecologia 172: 1129-1135.
- Wright, A.N., J. Piovia-Scott, D.A. Spiller, G. Takimoto, L.H. Yang, T.W. Schoener. 2013. Pulses of marine subsidies amplify reproductive potential of lizards by increasing individual growth rate. Oikos 122: 1496-1504.
- Piovia-Scott, J., K.L. Pope, S.P. Lawler, E.M. Cole, J.E. Foley. 2011. Factors related to the distribution and prevalence of the fungal pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in Rana cascadae and other amphibians in the Klamath Mountains. Biological Conservation 144: 2913-2921.
- Piovia-Scott, J. 2011. The effect of disturbance on an ant-plant mutualism. Oecologia 166: 411-420.
- Joseph, M., J. Piovia-Scott, S.P. Lawler, K.L. Pope. 2011. Indirect effects of introduced trout on Cascades frog (Rana cascadae) via shared aquatic prey. Freshwater Biology 56: 828-838.
- Piovia-Scott, J., D.A. Spiller, T.W. Schoener. 2011. Effects of experimental seaweed deposition on lizard and ant predation in an island food web. Science 331: 461-463.
- Piovia-Scott, J. 2011. Plant phenotype influences the effect of ant mutualists on a polymorphic mangrove. Journal of Ecology 99: 327-334.
- Spiller, D.A., J. Piovia-Scott, A.N. Wright, L.H. Yang, G. Takimoto, T.W. Schoener, and T. Iwata. 2010. Marine subsidies have multiple effects on coastal food webs. Ecology 91: 1424-1434.
- Pope, K.L., J. Piovia-Scott, and S.P. Lawler. 2009. Changes in aquatic insect emergence in response to whole-lake experimental manipulations of introduced trout. Freshwater Biology 54: 982-993.